Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Glory of a Sunny Day!

As I begin to increase my mobility, flexibility and responsibility to my physical vessel, I look for those activities that I truly enjoy.  The actions that I honestly feel compelled to participate in on a daily basis.  A desire and love for the simple and the authentic tend to find there way to the top of the list.  

The present goal is to find a means of dancing everyday.  Many people comment that working out at home and dancing at home are a great way to accomplish that.  As a professional dancer who devoted thirty plus years to the studio, I beg to differ.  For this dancer it is challenging to create a classroom experience at home.  Dancing at home tends to become very social, the space is limited and I'm usually engaged in contact improvisation with my young son.  In his words the other day as we experimented with movement--"I'm going to dance what's in my heart and feel it!".

That is the sensation that I only find at home when everyone is asleep, the candles are lit and I move through space with the integrity of finding what's in my heart and moving through it hopefully toward creation.  The goal is to begin to feel that in the studio through choreography and invention.  To find what I refer to as the Wheel of Invention.  That space where mind, body, soul and intention flow through each other creating a vitality within the very core of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment